Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Nutrition Facts for Recipes

I am a new recipe junkie. I like to try new recipes I find in magazines, online, gather from friends, and yes, I have been known to make up a recipe or two. I don’t necessarily think that my family is as enthusiastic about my recipe hording and experimentation as I am. I think they would be content with the same recipes over and over again (i.e. homemade mac & cheese, spaghetti and chicken sausages, tuna casserole, potato soup, homemade pizza, chicken and dumplings, meatballs and rice, repeat).

Because I am a semi-health nut, I like to know what the nutritional value is of the foods I prepare and feed to my family.

Last year sometime I came across the Nutrition Data website. I only used it a handful of times and rediscovered it today. I made some extremely yummy peanut butter and banana muffins the other day from my Deceptively Delicious cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld. I love the cookbook, but there isn’t nutritional information for the deceivingly nutritious recipes. I plugged and chugged the ingredients from the recipe into the Nutrition Data’s recipe analyzer and got all of the nutritional information for my recipe.

The “Pantry” allows me to look up the ingredients, tell it how much of each was used, and then it processes the information into a nice Nutrition Facts list, like those found on most American processed foods, as well as a Nutritional Target Map and a Caloric Ratio Pyramid. Because of their copyright laws, I am unable to post the images, so you’ll just have to take my word for it, or check it out yourself.

My next adventure is to re-find the site I bookmarked that gives the nutritional pyramid for a person based on their size, shape, and activity level. I’m hoping to print one for each of my family members and see if we meet our food pyramid requirements on a weekly basis.

No comments: