Monday, April 6, 2009

She Finally Lost It


Jolie lost her first tooth on Friday. It has been holding on by a thread for the past few days. Late last week, she pulled me aside and asked me to look at a "cut" in her mouth. It was no cut...it was her adult tooth coming in behind the baby tooth. That puppy was ready to come out. She wouldn't pull it herself. I got the honor this time.



Jolie was blessed with the "first tooth bonus" from the Tooth Fairy. The Tooth Fairy brings $5 for the first tooth and $1 for every subsequent tooth. Saturday morning I actually had to ask her what she had gotten from the Tooth Fairy. She joyfully ran out of her room with her wad of cash. Not long after, she wrapped her arms around me and whispered, "Mom, you're the best Tooth Fairy ever."

That's right. She's hip to the jig. Last fall she asked if fairies were real, and I asked her what she thought. She said no and seemed satisfied. A few minutes later she asked, "What about the Tooth Fairy, then?" As Justin whispered, "Don't lie to her," I asked her again what she though. She pondered again for a few minutes and said, "No. I don't think she's real. Do you give us money?" And from that point on, the innocence was broken. I asked her not to tell Jake because he didn't know yet, and we agreed that it would be our secret.

About a week later, Jake came out of his room and said, "So, the Tooth Fairy isn't real, huh?" I asked him where he'd heard that, and he plainly said, "Jolie." Of course, he decided to take it one step further and the inquired about Santa. I in turn asked him what he thought, and he said, "No, I think you and Daddy get us gifts." Well there you go. But wait. He had to clarify all mystical beings that bring him gifts, including the Easter Bunny. Again, I asked him to keep Santa and the Easter Bunny a secret from Jolie and Jensen, since they were still young...and as you can imagine, that didn't last long.

I'm not sure how much Jensen knows as of yet. I do know that he was sitting at the table the other day saying to his Legos, "Mommy and Daddy are Santa." I wonder who he heard that from...

No comments: