Sunday, January 18, 2009

My Selfish Weekend

I have had a selfish weekend and I don't really feel too bad about it. I don't ever take much time for myself. Every now and again I'll steal a few minutes to relax in the tub, or maybe every few months I'll attend a Mom's Night Out. But this weekend was different.

What did I do, you ask?

I READ A BOOK!

Yes, a whole book. And not a little wimpy book, but a big whopper of a book.

Justin and I watched the trailer for the movie that will be coming out and I really wanted to read the book before seeing the movie. Luckily, there wasn't a long wait at the library and it came in on Wednesday while we were there for Lego Club.

So what is the book, you ask?

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown. It was fabulous...all 569 pages of it. Dan Brown is also the author of The Da Vinci Code. I would highly recommend both books to any and everyone.

I started reading it Friday while Justin was on duty (which gave me the whole night after the kids went to sleep to read and read and read). I think I may have slightly neglected the kids on Friday...I did feed them and got them into their beds, but between lunch after our co-op Friday and dinner (which was just leftovers), they basically played nicely together both inside and out(I'm so glad that they get along so well). Saturday was much of the same. I did make a big breakfast for everyone, but got right back to reading while Justin slept after his night on duty and again the kids played. I did take a break to have a nice Date Night with Justin to celebrate our upcoming anniversary, but went right back to reading while he and Jake watched a Civil Rights movie from the History Channel that we got from Netflix and fell asleep on the couch. I finished early this morning, slept a little, got moving today and cleaned the garage. I guess I wasn't completely selfish this weekend...though I did clean the garage so I could get my van back in the garage.

I won't go into my thoughts on the book here. I think it is a book that one would need to read and interpret for themselves, much like The Da Vinci Code. I'm sure it will resonate differently for everyone.

I don't do it often, but having a selfish weekend felt pretty good...almost regenerating. Maybe I'll have another selfish weekend soon....possibly to till and plant my garden. I'm not sure that it counts as selfish, but either way I can't wait.

No comments: