Sunday, December 13, 2009

Homemade Dough for Playing

I’ve tried several recipes for homemade play dough. Some were coarse, some were sticky, and some were downright dry. I seemed to strike out every time I tried to make a copycat of the ever popular Play-Doh. That all changed with a recipe I received from a close homeschooling friend the other day, who told me the recipe was tried and true.

I can now agree that this recipe is wonderful. No sticky hands, no coarse texture, no difficulty in manipulating. I have some very satisfied customers. This will be my go to play dough recipe in the future. The price is right (most ingredients are readily available around the house), the process is simple, and the kids can have whatever color tickles their fancy. Enjoy!

Play Dough Recipe

1 C flour
¼ C salt
2 T cream of tartar
1 C water
1 T oil
30 drops food coloring

Mix the dry ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Add the water, oil, and food coloring and heat over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. As soon as the dough forms a ball, turn the dough out on the counter and knead for a minute or so. Store in an air-tight container.

2 comments:

Libby said...

This is my playdough recipe also...one time when I was teaching, a Mom wanted to help out, so I asked her to make playdough...and she put TARDAR SAUCE in it instead of cream of tardar!!! It was so gross!!

BTW, you can add oils to these to make them smell yummy, like peppermint, or coconut. I also like to add glitter!! :)

Me said...

Thanks for the great idea of adding "speciality" oils to the play dough. I bet my little ones will love it.