Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Butterscotch Pudding

Tonight I made homemade pudding for the first time. Butterscotch is my favorite pudding, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. WOW! is all I have to say about that. Yummy! Justin and I had some (still warm) tonight and it was wonderful. Making pudding from scratch takes a few extra minutes, but was well worth it. Here is the recipe I used-




3 cups (720 ml) whole (full fat) milk - (I used organic half 'n half)
3/4 cup (160 grams) dark brown sugar - (I used organic light brown sugar)
1/4 cup (30 grams) cornstarch (corn flour) - (non GMO, of course)
1/8 teaspoon salt - (I used sea salt)
4 large egg yolks - (I like free range)
2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract - (organic and fair trade)
2 tablespoon (28 grams) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces - (organic)

Garnish: Lightly sweetened whipped cream


In a large stainless steel (heatproof) bowl whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks. Whisk in 1/2 cup (120 ml) of the milk until you have a thick paste. Set aside while you heat the milk. Have ready a fine medium-sized strainer and bowl as you will need to strain the pudding after it is cooked.

First, rinse a medium-sized heavy saucepan with cold water and then shake out the excess water. Doing this step prevents the milk from scorching. Then pour the remaining 2 1/2 cups (600 ml) of milk into the saucepan and bring just to a boil. Gradually pour the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly, until the mixture is smooth. Transfer the pudding mixture to a clean large, heavy bottomed saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens to the consistency of mayonnaise (about 2 minutes). Remove from heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla extract. Pour through the strainer to remove any lumps that may have formed during cooking.

Pour into 4 bowls or wine glasses. The pudding can be served warm or if chilling, press plastic wrap onto the surface of the warm puddings to prevent a skin from forming. If you like the skin, simply leave the pudding uncovered until cooled, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. The puddings can be made a day or two ahead of serving. Garnish each pudding with a large dollop of softly whipped cream.

Makes 4 servings.


Let me know if you have a favorite homemade pudding recipe. I'd like to try some others.

No comments: