Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Chalk4Peace

We spent Saturday afternoon participating in a local Chalk4Peace event. Our Roots & Shoots group gathered at the local natural foods store and chalked peaceful drawings all over the natural foods store's sidewalk.



Chalk4Peace is a worldwide effort meant to spread the idea of peace through creative expression in the medium of chalk. The event started in 2003 in Arlington, VA as a weekend sidewalk event and quickly spread; now spanning several continents.

Saturday was a beautiful day for the event. The kids were a bit hot, so the shade from the building came in handy from time to time, giving them a chance to cool down in between their drawings.

The whole family participated, drawing what peace meant to each of us. Justin drew an American flag with a peace symbol; I drew several well-known peace symbols; Jakob wrote down each branch of the US military; Jolie drew some peace signs and hearts; and Jensen wanted Batman drawn in his square.

A local newspaper reporter was also there to document the event. The article was published in yesterday’s paper and can also be found online. I’m not pleased with my “quote,” but I’ll survive(I don’t think I usually talk in run on sentences like that, do I?).


The kids had fun and thought it was neat to have their photo in the newspaper.

It would be great to see more groups participating in events such as Chalk4Peace. I hope that our Roots & Shoots group will continue to be active in similar events.

No comments: